Wednesday 6 November 2013

knit development

I found this great book in the library by Mitchell Beazley. It was written in 1979, and some of the ideas inside are pretty fun and quirky, as you can probably guess from the title- 'Wild Knitting'! Seeing as I'm experimenting towards my final knit samples based on my collection of things to play with, I really enjoyed flicking through this for some inspiration (and laughs!)


I like the way lots of the ideas in the book are quite 3D and very textural. Continuing to look at and draw from my objects, I experimented a bit further with small scale samples to inform what to make for my final samples. I tried incorporating wire to add structure, inspired by the coiled shape of the slinky I have in my box. I love the effect of lots of tightly e-wrapped bits of iridescent thread to get the idea of the plasticy, synthetic shine of many of my objects. 

drawing from rubber band shapes- aimed to create a similar busy, mesh-like
 feel to knit samples above


drawing from slinky and bubble blower- informed wire expermentation below



No comments:

Post a Comment