Sunday 17 November 2013

Weave under-way!

It's weave-time! First I tried plain weave, the most basic style of weaving. I think it could be quite effective to have strips of plain weave in bright blocks of colour between sections of more structured/manipulated bits of weaving. 
Looking at my artwork and windings, I decided to start playing around with a few different colours and qualities of yarns in the weft. I especially want to focus on getting the plastic-y shine of my research objects, so I've been making up bobbins with iridescent thread wound into them and have brought some jelly-like plastic cord. 
mixed blue and iridescent bobbin
 Lisa introduced us to lifting plans, where you can move the heddles in different formations to start creating different patterns in your fabric. Here I was playing around with a 1/3 twill- I like how you get a different effect on the front and the back. It will be interesting to fully examine this when my samples so far are cut off the loom!

I feel like I only just got going- now I have so many ideas I want to try out! Next week, I want to try and experiment a bit with the surface of my weave, and see how I can add in some more texture, rather than having all completely flat pieces. I hope I'll have enough workshop time to play around a bit more, as well as making some final samples for the block. 


No comments:

Post a Comment