Tuesday 26 November 2013

Final Weaving samples

It's crazy to think that we are half way through our technical rotations! Both Knit and Weave have been very technique based and constructive- in the last few weeks I have actually been able to play around with forming a fabric myself. Although I enjoyed the process of weaving, at first I found I was a little frustrated at how to express my ideas more creatively due to the pace and not knowing what was achievable. Then when we reached the point where our looms were set up and we knew enough to have some time and space to experiment, I just wanted to try a little bit of everything!  
Here are my final samples:


This block challenged me to think a lot about colour- as I wanted to incorporate some of the dark blue from my partner's side of the warp into my weaving, I had to think about how I could try and cover the beige colour that was also part of Mary's warp threads, as it doesn't fit the feel of my work. As my warp was already very bright, comprising of shocking pink and orange, it was interesting playing around with how to introduce other colours that linked to my research to get the effect I wanted. I found that using areas of darker colours in the weave helped to intensify the brightness of the other colours that I wanted to achieve. When I cut up my samples, some of them were smaller than I'd thought they'd looked on the loom, so if I return to weaving, next time I will have more of an idea of what sort of outcomes to expect from what I'm making. I wanted to try and give each final sample it's own feel that related to different areas of my Box Clever research, while conveying an overall sense of fun and energy through my samples as a whole. It has felt like quite a privilege to try this amazing process for the first time. It's been a challenging and satisfying block, and I definitely have an appreciation and understanding for weaving that I didn't have 2 weeks ago!


2 comments:

  1. Hannah, If your experiments are anything to go by, then we are looking at a weaving pro in the making so to speak. Good job. Lovely colours and use of textures/lines to add an other dimension.
    Keep weaving....Wendyxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, fabulous to know you like it! :)

      Delete