Tuesday 26 November 2013

Weaving away

Back on the loom, I've been experimenting and working up to my final samples for the block. In the last day or two I suddenly felt like weaving made much more sense. Initially, I'd found the mathematical side of the lifting plans a little restrictive, and although the weave patterns are all beautiful, I wanted to create something that wasn't so flat! However, once I started exploring looping, adding in contrasting yarns and combining the patterns I was using, it all became much more freeing and alive.
looking back to research drawings and windings for inspiration 



exploring looping with jelly cord and shredded metallic paper
using lurex against warp yarns to create a shine!
playing with patterns and textures
a pile of design ideas and yarn cuttings for final samples!
When we cut all our samples off the loom at the end of the week, it was such an amazing feeling to spread all our collective work over the workshop floor- it was like we'd created some kind of giant rug! 

The process of weaving has a very satisfying end result- I am still amazed that I have physically woven together my own fabric samples from 3 meters of warp yarns, that, a week and a half ago was still just a load of threads on a big spool. When I visited Leighton House Museum yesterday, there was a video clip about the restoration and recreation of the fabrics that would have furnished the house in the 19th century. It showed a workshop with a lady hand-weaving silk braiding for one of the upper rooms, and I thought- wow, now I've had an experience of this wonderful process too! Images of my final samples are to come….




No comments:

Post a Comment