Sunday 27 October 2013

knitting time


This week I've learned to knit! Although I've seen hand knitting demonstrated before and got to try a machine briefly on foundation, this week has been so satisfying, as I feel like I now have a basic knowledge and use of both. How exciting!


It seems like there is endless potential to manipulate a piece of knitting. While I've been focusing on getting the process of hand-knitting, and creating variation around a few basic stitches for now, it's been great to make lots of quicker experiments on the machine- changing colours, making holes, forming loops, creating textures, cords, stripes, and many other things.  
making holes with 4 yarns cast on
weaving plastic strips into the knit
Once I started getting the techniques, it was fun to try and start exploring and expressing elements of my Box Clever objects within what I was knitting. 


 I wanted to get a sense of fluidity to match the flowing shapes of the rubber band animals (above left), so tried creating looped samples with raffia and torn up strips of balloons. The shapes of the bubble blowers inspired lace-hole work. Here's some of my initial samples:
Looping and weaving
Cording through lace holes, and Making stripes 
hand-knits (left to right)- ribbing, chunky knit with cable wire painted after,
knitting with ribbon stitched into.

No comments:

Post a Comment