Tuesday 7 January 2014

Inspiration: POP and Paul

Before Christmas I made it to 2 great exhibitions: 'Hello my name is Paul Smith' at the Design Museum, and the Barbican's 'Pop art' exhibition. 
Both were pretty inspiring in terms of print, my current rotation. Here are a few snaps I took in the design museum of things that really caught my eye...

This was on a big wall of posters Paul Smith has collected- 
-its a Rob Ryan paper cut, and the stencil-like effect really reminded me of the paper stencils I've been making to use in the screen printing workshop this week. I love the intricacy and the way Ryan's work tells a story...

These images are all details and interesting patterns on garments from various Paul Smith collections across the years. The bold, large scale of the patterns, which cover all, or large parts of each garment, appeals to me. It was especially fun to see how Smith has taken this bold approach with menswear as well as womenswear, seeing as menswear is often more about subtlety and discreet touches. 




Finally, I loved the mock up of the Paul Smith design studio in covent garden- how exciting to get a peek at the world of professional print designers working for a label!

Exhibition Reference:
various artists (2013-14) Pop Art Design. London: Barbican Centre. Visited 12/12/13
Smith, Paul. (2013-14) Hello, my name is Paul Smith. London: Design Museum. Visited 12/12/13

No comments:

Post a Comment