Thursday 16 January 2014

Screen Print Process 2

As I've found in all the technical blocks so far, work is not over when the technical process is done. After printing my silk, it had to be steamed (thank you Margret, the lovely technician who sorted this bit out for us!), washed and ironed. Then, as I had decided to print onto a large piece of silk, instead of smaller sample sized pieces, I had to decide how to cut up my work.... why is it that making the first cut into a bit of fabric always a tad on the nerve-wracking side?!

I already knew roughly where I wanted to cut my silk from my design sketches and the ideas I'd envisioned while printing. However, before simply snipping away, I decided to do a bit of draping on a mannequin to test out my prints in relation to the human form, for further ideas of how the patterns could be effectively used and divided up. 









I then made a card template I wanted the final fabric samples to be, and did some final experimenting, laying the template over parts of the silk to check for other ways to resolve my designs that I hadn't considered yet, that might also potentially work. 







It was quite fun continuing to experiment with my work in this way. I'll try and keep up this attitude with future projects ahead- always thinking- how could I change this? what would happen if I do that? or add this? or put that here? or turn this upside-down?! 
Seeing as my Box Clever work all derives from the idea of 'playing around', taking a playful approach to my prints also just seemed rather apt anyway!

After cutting up my silk, I then finished the edges and made fabric headers. Having to really consider the presentation of our work for each of the technical block assessments has been really helpful, as the extra effort makes the final samples look much more finished, professional and communicates the feel of your work in a much cleaner, clearer way. Pictures of the finished samples will be posted soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment