Saturday 26 October 2013

Playing around drawing

Our first drawing week was really helpful to start analysing my Box Clever objects.
One tutor asked: what's the point of drawing when it's so easy now to just take photos? Well, drawing requires you to look at things and notice detail. Sitting infront of my objects made me pay attention to the shapes, colours, textures, and work out what attracted me to my collection in the first place. 
Looking at silhouette
Imagining cross sections
Slicing and silhouetting 
I enjoyed the loose approach of tuesday afternoon's workshop. It was all about playing around, which perfectly suits my collection of 'things to play with'. Having fun with my drawings emphasised the fun elements of my objects to me, with their bright colours and interactive, moving parts. One exercise was to think of an alternative use for an object, and create a drawing to show how it would work. I re-imagined the bubble-blowing wand from my box as a device to draw rainbows with. 
A new use for bubble-blowers 
Drawing an object from memory was interesting. I realised that most of my objects are quite graphic, with bold shapes and colours, so it was easier to try and recall them than I thought it would be.

Memory drawing
Imagining the objects in motion across the page helped me think about the quality of movement associated with the actions of playing- I wanted to capture a joyful, impulsive feeling. My drawing turned out quite smudgy, but I think it has a sense of energy and freedom.

Thinking about movement
Taking components from the drawings I was producing and combining them together helped to generate further ideas. I like the effect of layering up silhouettes and line drawings in varying scales- they'll be useful to refer back to when it comes to my Print design block.


basic pattern development



No comments:

Post a Comment